Sunday, November 14, 2010

Trouble Sires Three Children

One of those three children is that I sprained my wrist and it really hurts to type.  Because of that I am just going to upload some pictures for now.  If my wrist feels a little better tonight, I will update this post and give you details of the week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I am finally updating my blog.  my wrist still hurts a little when I type, so I can’t do too much at anytime.  The pictures are now on the bottom of the page for those that haven’t seen them yet.  I’ll get to the whole wrist story, but that will just have to wait till the end :)

Sunday was a really great day.  Like always church was amazing.  I am so thankful that I am able to attend church every week.  It really helps to complete my life. 

After church I got to go to an awards ceremony for compassionate service.  Two of the people that I teach English with, Spring and Jonathan, were receiving awards for their participation in teaching English.  It was a really fun event.  It was covered end to end with Chinese formality, but that is what is to be expected.  There was a magic show, some songs, and some jingxi (complete with the guy doing it doing cartwheels in the middle.)  I was sad that the Spring and Jonathan didn’t get to give their speeches.  I got to hear Spring’s after the event and I think it would have gone over really well.

At night I was reminded of doing my laundry when it is cold and wet outside.  I also procrastinated doing my laundry to the point that it took three loads to finish it.  Finding places to hang it was the first hard part.  Pretty much every free area in my room had some clothes hung up.  Fun part number 2 was that it took nearly three full days for the clothes to fully dry.

 

Monday was a really long day.  I started it off by sleeping in and getting to class at 8:15.  After that started the first week of having eight hours of class all on Monday.  At least the subject material was interesting.  I had pizza on Monday again, I must say that it gives me a craving for Cheese after I eat the pizza.

The best part about Monday was watching the CEW broadcast from Sunday.  It really motivated me, I feel that not only do I need to do better in some things in my life, but also that I would be able to.  I love how the word of the Lord not only fills us with desire to do better, but also empowers us to do better.

Monday class was also really cool because the teacher in my computer security class pointed me out as having answered the best on our recent class.  It felt really good to be able to be pointed out as having done well in a class taught in a language other than my mother tongue.  Tuesday was similar in that the writing teacher said that I got the highest score on our recent mid-term.  This felt good as it means that my writing skills are getting better.

 

Wednesday saw me teaching the English class all by myself.  I thought it was going to be crazy hard, but actually it turned out to be okay.  I was surprised that the kids didn’t eat me alive.

After teaching English I headed over to a game store to ask the attendants the price on several games.  Let me tell you this, China is most certainly not a market economy.  That was drilled into be very clearly.  They set there prices completely indifferent of the market as a whole, and don’t even seem to care about competing with other stores.

Wednesday night class saw my Chinese humbled.  The teacher presented sentences that we were supposed to find where the mistakes where.  It was really hard, and I only got about 1/3 of them right.  Really quite sad, I need to ever strive for better Chinese.

I also got to proofread a paper on Aristotle on Wednesday.  I really enjoyed that.  It talked about Aristotle's views on friendship, and then ultimately how the savior surpassed those levels and portrayed what true friendship is.  It was a well written article that made me thing on these things.  Truly Christ is our true friend, and when we search about how to be better friends, we should try to see how we can emulate him.

 

On Thursday I finally got a hold of of my GRE scores.  I did rather well, but I sure wish that my writing score had been hire.  They should hinder me getting in to grad school, or at least I hope they won’t.

Thursday night we had a debate, luckily I did not have to directly participate in the debate.  It was a lot of fun to watch the proceedings.  I agree with Drew when he said that he now knows why they had us do debates in America, it is just that much fun to watch.

Thursday also saw the first child of trouble.  In the afternoon I got an e-mail saying that my dad had fallen off the roof and broken his back.  Luckily now I know that he is doing better, but it was still not the funest thing to get news of.  Luckily a friend had written to me an e-mail about an interesting spiritual topic, so I was able to spend the day thinking about that instead of worrying what was happening with my dad.

 

Friday saw the second child of trouble in that I finally had the rumors that I would have to find my own internship substantiated.  It seems like Ohio has managed to lose their Chinese flagship status, and with that the internship center that they ran in Qingdao.  I am not really worried about the internship, as worse come to worse I would just return to the US earlier.  More importantly I am annoyed that another thing has been dropped on my plate.  I admit that I could use my current time better, but even with that I have a lot more important things to do then finding jobs right now.

Other than that Friday was really good.  I spent the day doing various things and homework.  At night I went out with Trevor and had some Xinjiang food.  It was really good.  I was surprised at how good it tasted.  I will certainly have to go back there in the future.

 

Saturday saw the third child of trouble.  In the morning after my shower as I was walking back to my room I slipped on the deathly smooth tile that is my dining room floor.  Unfortunately instead of rolling to my shoulder I used my hand to brace myself and managed to sprain my wrist.  At first I could still move it fine, it just hurt a lot, but pretty quickly I started loosing mobility as well.

I immediately started icing to keep the swelling down.  I tried to go and get something to wrap it, but in the end all that I could find was gauss, so I ended up wrapping my wrist with gauss.  It gave it a little more stability, but it made it look like I was a leper or something.  Actually kind of funny if you ask me.

Well, ignoring the pain on my wrist I decided to continue forward with my places to spend the day with Drew and Cassi.  We took a buss up to the imperial Ming tombs.  It was an amazing day just spent in nature.  I really loved everything about it.  Good friends, good conversation, and a beautiful view; what more could one ask for?

Getting a bus home was interesting, as we ended up waiting for probably about 45 minutes.  The first bus took for ever to get to the stop, but when it got there it was so full that it didn’t even stop and kept going forward.  The second bus was pretty empty, but for some reason it didn’t stop either.  We finally got on the third bus, which was still pretty amazing because of just how backed it was.  If my wrist wasn’t hurt to the point where I had a hard time taking pictures, I certainly would have taken several.

For dinner I had more pizza, which once again was great.  Drew got a really interesting pizza that had lettuce and thousand island dressing on it.  It was good, but certainly not what you would expect from a pizza.  I also spent more time examining the games at Bravo.  One is an advanced form of Mafia, and I really want to find a chance to play it.  The other is like a game I played at the cabin once.  In that game you have a sheriff, deputies, outlaws, and something else.  No body knows who anyone else is besides who is the sheriff, and each side has some mission to accomplish.  Really a fun game if you ask me.  I will have to buy a copy that has the complete rules so that I can learn to play.

 

Well that was my week.  Even with all the trouble that I faced I really still enjoyed it.  In fact getting my wrist sprained was even a little fun.  I thought I looked hilarious as I had to do so many things in a very gimpy fashion this week.  It made me smile at the least.

Well, I am going to end it here before my wrist hurts anymore.  I hope you all have a good rest of the week, and I guess I will write again in another few days.

IMG_2165IMG_2168IMG_2171IMG_2178IMG_2187IMG_2189IMG_2200IMG_2052IMG_2057IMG_2064IMG_2065IMG_2067IMG_2071IMG_2072IMG_2074IMG_2075IMG_2093IMG_2098IMG_2102IMG_2104IMG_2108IMG_2109IMG_2112IMG_2114IMG_2118IMG_2121IMG_2123IMG_2124IMG_2145IMG_2148IMG_2151IMG_2152IMG_2156IMG_2161

No comments:

Post a Comment