Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Years!

Welcome to a new year.  At first this didn’t seem like it would mean anything, since my life still revolves around school years, but since I seem to have three parts to this year instead of one continual school year, it seems like it means something more.

 

Sunday I had another chance to translate for someone in church.  There is nothing quite like translation to make me feel like my Chinese is terrible.  It is good being able to help out people though.

Monday was not a very fun day.  I woke up with stomach cramps, and spent most of the morning staying in close proximity to the toilet.  My throat had been hurting for quite a few days, and I think whatever was causing that decided to get mad.  After my stomach settled down I had a terrible headache and a little fervor.  Not a fun way to spend the day.  I also wasn’t able to fall asleep until 3am… sigh… life in China seems to involve too much being sick.

Tuesday I spent mainly resting and recuperating.  I was finally feeling good enough that I did leave the house and got some work done.  Wednesday I woke up feeling a little sick again, so I didn’t go to service.  Luckily I felt better after too much longer.

Wednesday actually turned out to be a pretty productive day.  I worked on my computer science paper, and was actually able to get the majority of it finished.  For that night Drew, Trevor and I went to a Japanese noodle shop and got some food.  It was actually pretty good.  I really think that if I was willing to pay a bit more for food, I would enjoy what is available in the restaurants.  Nanjing’s street food isn’t very good, but some of there restaurants are really amazing.

Thursday I was busy most of the day finishing up my CS paper.  I was able to finish it up, and reviewed it with my tutor that night.  Now I just have the slides for it, and I really am done.  For lunch I went with Drew to a place called Istanbul.  It had some really good food.  I got something called a donor.  It tasted amazing, easily as good as something you could find in America.

 

Friday was New Years.  I spent the day doing laundry, and then went over to the couples’ mansion for New Years night.  There we ordered a ton of pizza, and had some pop, and just spent the night having fun.  I had a tim-tam slam instead of kissing someone at 12 (a tradition I only found out about that night anyways).  It was a fun night.

I ate so much pizza, that even when I woke up I was still filling full.  That day everyone decided to go and get all you could eat Korean BBQ.  I was a little not excited, I was still too full.  We left at about 2:30 to go and get the food.  When we got there we found out we were too late for lunch, so instead we checked out the mall.

We had a fun time checking out metro.  I watched a dunk contest on the TVs, and also had fun seeing the crazy important foods to buy.  After that we wondered through various stores in the mall.  Eventually we made it to the book store where I bought some books that are the literary classics of China.  I hope I can find the room to stick them in my bag.

Eventually we made our way back to the resturant where we proceded to gorge ourselves.  The meat was good, but even better were a lot of the veggies.  It was a delightful little meal with everyone.  In the end we were even given a bunny since this next year is the year of the bunny.

After we were done we headed back to the couples’ mansion.  There we all just chilled.  Eventually we started the movie “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief”.  It was terrible, so we were all making comments, kinda like Mystery Science Theatre.  That made it more fun.

 

Well, that was my week.  I am getting excited to see everyone soon.  I am finally in all of the classes I need to be in.  Things are looking like they will go smoothly for my return home.  Lets just hope everything works out on this end.  Anyways, happy new year to everyone!

1 comment:

  1. What kind of food is a "donor"? It may be really tasty, but since you didn't say what it was, I wonder.

    If you had asked me, I could have given you something to take to China to keep you from getting sick. I never got sick on anything there. I love the real Chinese food. MacDonald's was awful!! The Shanghai green beans were the best and the duck with ginger, plus the noodles/soup we had from the big steaming pot at one of those small rural-like places on the corner of a street.

    See you soon. You need to finalize your airport plans with me. Are you coming on the 11th (Tues.) or the 12th (Wed.)? Maybe you leave China on the 12th and get here on the 11th. Give me details so that I show up on the right day.

    ReplyDelete