Sunday, August 5, 2012

The week I tried to ride my bike to work

Last week I decided that this would be the week I tried to ride my bike to work! Oh yeah. I was pumped up. On Monday morning I got all ready, went to my bike, and found that my tires were low. Really, really low. No problem I though, I’ll just pump them up. Unfortunately, I could not get my pump to work! Instead I hooked my bike up to my car and drove to work.

At work we have a nice bike pump and I was able to inflate my tires. It is a good thing I did it there. I didn’t realize my tires were supposed to be pumped up to 100PSI. I never would have gotten close to that with the hand pump. Regardless, I rode home. The ride actually went really well. I had to walk for a bit on some of the hills, but nothing too bad. I was actually rather proud of my self.

On Tuesday I had to ride my bike to work, since my car was still at work. I got on my bike, and within minutes I was feeling sick to my stomach. My mistake, I ate breakfast right before I left. Unfortunately, right after breakfast if I do any physical activity this will be the result. I thought I might have gotten over this problem, but I turned out to be very wrong. Coupled with some bad hills, including one that goes up for 1.5 miles without ever letting up, it was a terrible bike ride. It was killer.

I have to admit, at that point I wanted to give up riding to work. Regardless, I want to get in shape for me, and also so that me an Emily can do some fun hikes when she gets back from China. So I decided to stay the course.

Unfortunately I will have to wait until next week to ride again. On Wednesday I went to the temple, so riding my bike wasn’t really an option. On Thursday I was going to ride my bike home from work, but then I freaked out thinking that I had left open my garage door at home! So I rushed back home, bummed that I had missed out a chance to bike.

On Friday I was going to bike again, but then decided to go to the regional YSA conference instead. That turned out to be a lot of fun. It was what I did this Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It was a good way to spend my time. I was able to reconnect with some people I have not seen in a long time. I also got to meet and make some new friends. A great way to spend the weekend. On Sunday we even got to hear Elder Ballard speak to us. It was a great talk.

 

And that was my week. Next week I will only get to ride my bike on Monday. The rest of the week is my first research conference! I won’t be presenting a paper, but I am still excited. It should be fun. I’ll let everyone know how that turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment