Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fun in the snow

I had a really good week this week, with all of it culminating in a cabin trip.  The week leading up to the trip was pretty crazy though.  First I needed to get caught up in all of my work to the point that I could miss two days of classes.  I also worked 20 hours, and prepared a presentation for a research conference that I am presenting at next semester.

On Thursday I even got to help a friend do their programming homework.  It was fun to go back to the basics.  It is also fun to see just how much things have changed.  I remember things like this taking me time to think of, and now it all seems so easy.  I guess I have learned something in college ;)

 

On Friday I headed up to the family cabin.  It was really clear until we actually got to the access road that leads to the cabin.  The snow had melted and refrozen, making it a difficult drive in.  We had to push one of the cars when it got stuck, but in the end we made it just fine.

That night we didn’t do much, just settle into the house.  The next day started the wonderfulness that is the food at the cabin. In the morning we had a fabulous breakfast quiche, followed at lunch by some wonderful homemade soup, with dinner being a delightful parmesan chicken.

The day itself involved some light sledding and watching the BYU basketball game.  Even though the game was a little sad, it was great being able to relax for the rest of the time.  We ended the day by watching Just Right and a Rascal Flats concert that was broadcast on TV.

 

Sunday was quite.  We didn’t go to church because we were snowed in.  It was fun watching feet of snow fall from the roof, like mini avalanches.  We did go for a little Sunday ride.  It was just beautiful how everything look covered in the snow.  I wish I had brought my camera.

Monday was the last day at the cabin.  In the morning I went with my Uncle and some of our friends shooting.  It was an old 22 caliber pistol.  I was the first to  nock down any cans, but we all ended up hitting them quite a bit.  All good fun.  It was been a long time since I have been able to go shooting.

After that several of us went out snowmobiling.  This time was my first time going through the fresh powder.  It was so much fun, though you really have to throw your weight around to go where you want to go.  Certainly not the easiest thing. 

After that we packed up and headed home.  It was a nice and smooth drive.  Overall the weekend was just magnificent.  I feel recharged for the rest of the semester before me.  I did tweak my back a little, so hopefully it will cool down before not too long, but other than that everything is great.

 

Well, I hope you all had as enjoyable weekends as I did.  Wish you all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment