Sunday, May 1, 2011

Life as a graduate student

Okay, well maybe I don’t really know what life as a graduate student is like.  I have it all nice and plushy at the current moment.  I just moved in, and haven’t had as much time to work as I will be working, but still it has been nice so far :)

 

On Sunday I attended the FLSR ward again, this time as an actual member of it.  It was really crazy, at first there were only about six of us even there.  I had never been in a meeting that small, heck even Nanjing was bigger.  In the end we probably had about 30 students show.  It was pretty cool to be in a ward so small.  The services were all really good and I enjoyed myself.

After that I headed back home for an Easter dinner.  It was really good to be able to spend the holiday with family.  One of the best things about living in Orem recently is that when ever family happened to come by I was there to see them.  I am going to miss that a bit.

 

Well, on Monday I finally started moving into my house.  I got a good deal of packing and shopping done.  Even though I did get a lot accomplished at the end of the day it still looked as if a bomb had gone off in both my room and the living room.  It was actually kind of funny.

Tuesday saw me spending more time getting the living room setup.  By the end of the day both the living room and my room were dwellable once again.  I did have to run one speaker wire all the way across the ceiling with blue painters tape, which I do admit looked pretty silly.

On Wednesday was my friend Justin Smith’s birthday.  At his birthday we played a bit of ultimate Frisbee and soccer.  I actually scored a goal and had an assist in soccer which made me feel pretty good.  It was fun to get outside and spend some time outside.

 

On Thursday I did another one of my projects in the house.  I took everything that was on a shelf or cupboard in the kitchen and moved it to the table.  From there I proceeded to organize the entire kitchen.  It is so much better than it used to be.  We will just have to see if it will stand the test of roommates, that is the hard one to know ;)  I actually really enjoy doing this kind of stuff.  What am I going to do when I have my own house and don’t create projects to do?

 

Friday was another project in that I rewired my entire entertainment center’s setup.  I did this because BYU came in an installed IPTV to the FLSR, and while we were getting it setup it brought to my attention just how bad the wiring was.  It also allowed me to install a longer wire to the rear right speaker in the room so that I didn’t have to run the cable across the ceiling.  It was once again a lot of fun to have one of these projects to do.

At the end of that all me and Sean played Portal 2 and beat the co-op.  We were so tired by the end, but that made it all the more fun.  We were doing and saying the most ridiculous things by the end :)

 

And that was my first week as a graduate student.  Not much to do with grad school I know, but one of the best parts of grad school is that I have time to do all of these home projects, and I just love it.  Below are some pictures from this and last weeks activities:

My current setup in the FLSR

IMG_2343

 

Dinner Ryan and I cooked last week, all from scratch:

IMG_2339IMG_2340

 

Cake Ryan and I made for Uncle Rob’s birthday.  (Brittany helped with the frosting)

IMG_2338IMG_2342

IMG_2341

2 comments:

  1. You already beat Portal-2 Coop? I should have known that I never had a chance of getting that far in the game with you before someone else beat me to the punch and finished the game with you. If I only lived in the same city....

    ReplyDelete